On the 5th of July one of two things will end: either Greek democracy as regards economic policy or Greece’s Euro membership. Not a pleasant choice. Negotiations between the left-wing Greek government and the Troika had made little progress over the last months. When prime minister Alexis Tsipras announced a referendum on the Troika’s final offer, the reaction was swift. Democratic decision-making is not part of economic policy making in Europe. Fiscal policy has to follow the rules and debt has to be serviced.
According to the European Commission the Greek government has unilaterally left the negotiating table. The German finance minister, Wolfgang Schäuble, and the head of the Eurogroup and Dutch finance minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem, thus concluded that the Greek rescue plan ends on Tuesday. The ECB is pulling the plug and has announced that it will not increase the size of the Emergency Liquidity Assistance (ELA). Less technically: no further short-term money for Greek banks. Greek banks are in intensive care. The ECB’s doctors haven’t switched off life support, but they have powered it down. Greece’s Euro membership has effectively been suspended. As a consequence Greek banks have been shut down and cash withdrawals have been rationed. The Greek people should experience, before the referendum, what life is like without the Euro….
- Modern Money and the Obsession Over Fiscal Consolidation
- Roy Jenkins and Tony Benn debate : The European Communities membership referendum, 1975 – Panorama
- Drain Le Swamp
- Put your pussy hats on
- Brexit: the end of an error
- Joan Muysken Lecture: “The Eurozone, Groupthink and denial on a grand scale”
- On ikka kuradi fašistid
- How many poor?
- Ajastule sobivat muusikat
- Public Debt In The Eurozone: A Political Problem
- Šoti vasakpoolsed natsionalistid tahavad Šotimaast kreekasarnast EL-i kolooniat teha
- Trump Saltmining Inc.
- Poland warns of disunity across the EU after Donald Tusk re-elected European Council president
- Trump on keeldunud Reagani majanduspoliitikast
- Head rahvusvahelist naistepäeva
- Kohutav, Taani kannatab täistööhõive ja tõusvate palkade käes
- Euro saatus otsustatakse tõenäoliselt Itaalias
- Vasakpoolsed julgevad ainult Merkeli selja taga rääkida
- The European Union Trembles
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 197,190 korda