On the 5th of July one of two things will end: either Greek democracy as regards economic policy or Greece’s Euro membership. Not a pleasant choice. Negotiations between the left-wing Greek government and the Troika had made little progress over the last months. When prime minister Alexis Tsipras announced a referendum on the Troika’s final offer, the reaction was swift. Democratic decision-making is not part of economic policy making in Europe. Fiscal policy has to follow the rules and debt has to be serviced.
According to the European Commission the Greek government has unilaterally left the negotiating table. The German finance minister, Wolfgang Schäuble, and the head of the Eurogroup and Dutch finance minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem, thus concluded that the Greek rescue plan ends on Tuesday. The ECB is pulling the plug and has announced that it will not increase the size of the Emergency Liquidity Assistance (ELA). Less technically: no further short-term money for Greek banks. Greek banks are in intensive care. The ECB’s doctors haven’t switched off life support, but they have powered it down. Greece’s Euro membership has effectively been suspended. As a consequence Greek banks have been shut down and cash withdrawals have been rationed. The Greek people should experience, before the referendum, what life is like without the Euro….
- As Trump targets immigrants, U.S. farm sector looks to automate
- BREXIT VOTE ALREADY DELIVERING AS WAGES INCREASE
- (pealkiri puudub)
- Most Progressives are Neoliberals in Disguise Professor Bill Mitchell
- The Good Dream is Factual MMT Warren Mosler
- Sir Peter Tapsell; Abolish the Euro PMQs24/10/2012
- Actually the magic money tree does exist, according to modern monetary theory
- Trump’s top economist offers solution to unemployment: More government jobs
- EU ‘superstate’ fear as Brussels chief Juncker plots for Chancellor for the whole of Europe
- Politicians don’t know where money actually comes from, poll shows
- Rahakordaja elab
- MMT konverents 2017
- THE LEFT – Neutered By Neoliberalism
- Üks ÜRO dokument, millest sa peavoolu meedias ei kuule
- Austerlaste lollused
- The New York Times ja Stephanie Kelton
- Tavaline poliitiline tsirkus USAs
- Itaalia eksperiment
- Simon Wren-Lewis: Why is MMT so popular?
- Poola Solidaarsus protestib Junckeri vastu
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 200,419 korda