WARSAW — The Eurosceptic Law and Justice Party (PiS) has become the first party to win an outright majority in the Polish parliament since the fall of communism in 1989, official results showed on Tuesday.
Run by Jaroslaw Kaczynski, the twin brother of Poland’s late president Lech, the PiS secured 235 seats out of 460 in the lower chamber of parliament, the Sejm, allowing it to form a government without coalition partners.
The victory marks a decisive swing towards nationalism and distrust of the European Union in the country of 38 million, suggesting there will be tensions with Warsaw’s key allies in Brussels.
The socially conservative PiS has promised to increase state control of the economy, tax banks and stop privatisation.
It also wants to lower the retirement age and boost economic growth to 5 per cent through fiscal and monetary stimulus. It rejects adoption of the euro single currency any time soon……..
- Keynes and Brexit
- L’italiano vero
- ITALY REFERENDUM ‘WILL COLLAPSE EURO’, FRENCH ELECTION HINTS AT EUROPEAN SHIFT TOWARD RUSSIA
- Trump’s biggest supporter is still mad as hell
- Scepticism about a Brexit apocalypse looks increasingly justified
- Kui kedagi huvitab, et miks Trump või Marine Le Pen
- Le Pen
- Timing is everything
- The Real War on Science
- Global Empire: The Trump Effect
- Economists need to get into the real world, says Bank of England chief economist
- Nobel laureate Stiglitz sees Italy, others leaving euro zone in coming years
- Meet the Renegades: Michael Hudson
- Peavoolu majandusteadus võib end põlema panna
- Peamine ja põhiline vasakpoolsete probleem ühes artiklis
- TINA to the elite
- Ha-Joon Chang – Bad Samaritans: The Myth of Free Trade and the Secret History of Capitalism
- Bill Gross endorses a Job Guarantee, government as employer of last resort
- The Republican Deficit Hawks Abandon Their Religion
- Turud ootavad Trumpi stiimulit
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 193,510 korda