(BERLIN) – Germany’s EU Commissioner Guenther Oettinger Wednesday voiced fears the European Union could fall apart under the pressure of rising populism.
“The EU has learnt to overcome crises. But the number of unstable or populist governments is rising. That makes me worried,” said Oettinger, a member of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union.
“I see for the first time a real danger that the EU could collapse,” the EU’s digital commissioner warned, without specifying which countries he was most worried about.
The EU has been battered by a litany of challenges this year, with a bad-tempered row over how to handle the Greek debt crisis, and a record migrant influx splitting opinion across the bloc.
While Germany is taking in around a million asylum seekers this year, several eastern European nations including Hungary want to keep refugees out.
- Here is a new argument for the Remainers – should be a winner
- Thomas Fazi and William Mitchell – The EU cannot be democratised – here’s why
- Make America Great Again
- Libertarian Warren Mosler – Keep Deficit and Eliminate Taxes (MMT for Conservatives Part 3)
- Vasakpoolsed UBI toetajad on neoliberaalidega seljad kokku löönud
- Kas Krugman on chartalist?
- Ralph Nader lahtistest piiridest
- Bitcoin’s big problem: The modern state can make anything it chooses generally acceptable as money
- Donald Trump: You Print the Money
- Internetist leitud kommentaar MMT kohta
- Ennustatav palgakasv OECD riikides 2018
- H-1B viisaprogramm
- European banks warn of multibillion-dollar hit from Trump tax reform
- The EU – Plan A and Plan B with MMT – Warren Mosler
- Üks huvitav graafik inflatsiooni kohta
- Itaalia maksusertifikaadid ja võlafoobid
- How the Eurobarometer Blurs the Line between Research and Propaganda
- Does Saving Europe Require Saving the Currency? Pavlina Tcherneva
- Stabilisatsiooni ettepanekud
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 201,957 korda