(BERLIN) – Germany’s EU Commissioner Guenther Oettinger Wednesday voiced fears the European Union could fall apart under the pressure of rising populism.
“The EU has learnt to overcome crises. But the number of unstable or populist governments is rising. That makes me worried,” said Oettinger, a member of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union.
“I see for the first time a real danger that the EU could collapse,” the EU’s digital commissioner warned, without specifying which countries he was most worried about.
The EU has been battered by a litany of challenges this year, with a bad-tempered row over how to handle the Greek debt crisis, and a record migrant influx splitting opinion across the bloc.
While Germany is taking in around a million asylum seekers this year, several eastern European nations including Hungary want to keep refugees out.
- David Graeber: debt and what the government doesn’t want you to know
- For all the lefties who talk for working class. Trump means business :)
- Keynes and Brexit
- L’italiano vero
- ITALY REFERENDUM ‘WILL COLLAPSE EURO’, FRENCH ELECTION HINTS AT EUROPEAN SHIFT TOWARD RUSSIA
- Trump’s biggest supporter is still mad as hell
- Scepticism about a Brexit apocalypse looks increasingly justified
- Kui kedagi huvitab, et miks Trump või Marine Le Pen
- Le Pen
- Timing is everything
- The Real War on Science
- Global Empire: The Trump Effect
- Economists need to get into the real world, says Bank of England chief economist
- Nobel laureate Stiglitz sees Italy, others leaving euro zone in coming years
- Meet the Renegades: Michael Hudson
- Peavoolu majandusteadus võib end põlema panna
- Peamine ja põhiline vasakpoolsete probleem ühes artiklis
- TINA to the elite
- Ha-Joon Chang – Bad Samaritans: The Myth of Free Trade and the Secret History of Capitalism
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 193,685 korda