Finland’s lawmakers have held a debate over a citizen petition that demands a referendum on a possible exit from the European single currency euro as a remedy to economic woes of the Nordic country.
The rare parliamentary debate was held on Thursday after some 53,000 Finns signed the petition to put the issue on the chamber’s agenda.
The appeal demands a referendum to review Finland’s euro membership amid the country’s poor economic performance and rising unemployment.
The petition would need to pass several stages in the parliament before reaching a final plenary vote and a possible referendum. The next stage would be a discussion on the initiative at the relevant parliamentary committee.
Opinion polls indicate the country is unlikely to exit the common currency, but the success of the petition shows the high level of public dissatisfaction with the economic situation and the government’s austerity policies.
According to a December poll by public broadcaster YLE, 54 percent of Finns supported remaining in the euro zone, while 31 percent wanted to leave. Asked whether Finland would do better outside the euro zone, 44 percent answered yes…….
- Eeapooletu ajakirjandus
- Modern Money and the Obsession Over Fiscal Consolidation
- Roy Jenkins and Tony Benn debate : The European Communities membership referendum, 1975 – Panorama
- Drain Le Swamp
- Put your pussy hats on
- Brexit: the end of an error
- Joan Muysken Lecture: “The Eurozone, Groupthink and denial on a grand scale”
- On ikka kuradi fašistid
- How many poor?
- Ajastule sobivat muusikat
- Public Debt In The Eurozone: A Political Problem
- Šoti vasakpoolsed natsionalistid tahavad Šotimaast kreekasarnast EL-i kolooniat teha
- Trump Saltmining Inc.
- Poland warns of disunity across the EU after Donald Tusk re-elected European Council president
- Trump on keeldunud Reagani majanduspoliitikast
- Head rahvusvahelist naistepäeva
- Kohutav, Taani kannatab täistööhõive ja tõusvate palkade käes
- Euro saatus otsustatakse tõenäoliselt Itaalias
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 197,892 korda