Finland’s lawmakers have held a debate over a citizen petition that demands a referendum on a possible exit from the European single currency euro as a remedy to economic woes of the Nordic country.
The rare parliamentary debate was held on Thursday after some 53,000 Finns signed the petition to put the issue on the chamber’s agenda.
The appeal demands a referendum to review Finland’s euro membership amid the country’s poor economic performance and rising unemployment.
The petition would need to pass several stages in the parliament before reaching a final plenary vote and a possible referendum. The next stage would be a discussion on the initiative at the relevant parliamentary committee.
Opinion polls indicate the country is unlikely to exit the common currency, but the success of the petition shows the high level of public dissatisfaction with the economic situation and the government’s austerity policies.
According to a December poll by public broadcaster YLE, 54 percent of Finns supported remaining in the euro zone, while 31 percent wanted to leave. Asked whether Finland would do better outside the euro zone, 44 percent answered yes…….
- As Trump targets immigrants, U.S. farm sector looks to automate
- BREXIT VOTE ALREADY DELIVERING AS WAGES INCREASE
- (pealkiri puudub)
- Most Progressives are Neoliberals in Disguise Professor Bill Mitchell
- The Good Dream is Factual MMT Warren Mosler
- Sir Peter Tapsell; Abolish the Euro PMQs24/10/2012
- Actually the magic money tree does exist, according to modern monetary theory
- Trump’s top economist offers solution to unemployment: More government jobs
- EU ‘superstate’ fear as Brussels chief Juncker plots for Chancellor for the whole of Europe
- Politicians don’t know where money actually comes from, poll shows
- Rahakordaja elab
- MMT konverents 2017
- THE LEFT – Neutered By Neoliberalism
- Üks ÜRO dokument, millest sa peavoolu meedias ei kuule
- Austerlaste lollused
- The New York Times ja Stephanie Kelton
- Tavaline poliitiline tsirkus USAs
- Itaalia eksperiment
- Simon Wren-Lewis: Why is MMT so popular?
- Poola Solidaarsus protestib Junckeri vastu
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 200,356 korda