Finland’s lawmakers have held a debate over a citizen petition that demands a referendum on a possible exit from the European single currency euro as a remedy to economic woes of the Nordic country.
The rare parliamentary debate was held on Thursday after some 53,000 Finns signed the petition to put the issue on the chamber’s agenda.
The appeal demands a referendum to review Finland’s euro membership amid the country’s poor economic performance and rising unemployment.
The petition would need to pass several stages in the parliament before reaching a final plenary vote and a possible referendum. The next stage would be a discussion on the initiative at the relevant parliamentary committee.
Opinion polls indicate the country is unlikely to exit the common currency, but the success of the petition shows the high level of public dissatisfaction with the economic situation and the government’s austerity policies.
According to a December poll by public broadcaster YLE, 54 percent of Finns supported remaining in the euro zone, while 31 percent wanted to leave. Asked whether Finland would do better outside the euro zone, 44 percent answered yes…….
- Püüdke natse, natsism on probleem nr. 1 Ameerikas
- The European Union, the New European Soviet?
- Trump ja Bannon
- California põllumajandus ja minu muru
- Brexit Boost: Hiring and Salaries Rise as Supply of Cheap Foreign Workers Falls
- Global Inflation Hits Lowest Level Since 2009
- Modern Money and the Constitution by Professor Christine Desan
- Kiidan heaks Trumpi immigratsioonipoliitika
- Hello Angry Losers
- Professor William Mitchell – Thinking in a Modern Monetary Theory Way
- Bill Mitchell: modern monetary theory
- The Basics of Modern Money
- Sa ei saa oma raha kätte pangast. See kõik on sinu enda huvides
- Trump and the Trumpists
- Lexit: the EU is a neoliberal project, so let’s do something different when we leave it
- Wholesale EU immigration has destroyed conditions for British workers
- GEOPOLITICS: The Billionaire Who Foresaw President Donald Trump’s America in 2017
- Alt-right on postkeinsismi lembeline?
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 198,785 korda