Finland’s lawmakers have held a debate over a citizen petition that demands a referendum on a possible exit from the European single currency euro as a remedy to economic woes of the Nordic country.
The rare parliamentary debate was held on Thursday after some 53,000 Finns signed the petition to put the issue on the chamber’s agenda.
The appeal demands a referendum to review Finland’s euro membership amid the country’s poor economic performance and rising unemployment.
The petition would need to pass several stages in the parliament before reaching a final plenary vote and a possible referendum. The next stage would be a discussion on the initiative at the relevant parliamentary committee.
Opinion polls indicate the country is unlikely to exit the common currency, but the success of the petition shows the high level of public dissatisfaction with the economic situation and the government’s austerity policies.
According to a December poll by public broadcaster YLE, 54 percent of Finns supported remaining in the euro zone, while 31 percent wanted to leave. Asked whether Finland would do better outside the euro zone, 44 percent answered yes…….
- Here is a new argument for the Remainers – should be a winner
- Thomas Fazi and William Mitchell – The EU cannot be democratised – here’s why
- Make America Great Again
- Libertarian Warren Mosler – Keep Deficit and Eliminate Taxes (MMT for Conservatives Part 3)
- Vasakpoolsed UBI toetajad on neoliberaalidega seljad kokku löönud
- Kas Krugman on chartalist?
- Ralph Nader lahtistest piiridest
- Bitcoin’s big problem: The modern state can make anything it chooses generally acceptable as money
- Donald Trump: You Print the Money
- Internetist leitud kommentaar MMT kohta
- Ennustatav palgakasv OECD riikides 2018
- H-1B viisaprogramm
- European banks warn of multibillion-dollar hit from Trump tax reform
- The EU – Plan A and Plan B with MMT – Warren Mosler
- Üks huvitav graafik inflatsiooni kohta
- Itaalia maksusertifikaadid ja võlafoobid
- How the Eurobarometer Blurs the Line between Research and Propaganda
- Does Saving Europe Require Saving the Currency? Pavlina Tcherneva
- Stabilisatsiooni ettepanekud
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 201,957 korda