….Why? Because, although Britain is likely to stay in the EU, Brexit will remain a live issue unless the eurozone can sort itself out. That means either admitting that the euro has been a terrible mistake, or going the whole hog and integrating further, with a single banking system, a Europe-wide treasury, and a democratically elected finance minister with the power to raise money in Germany and spend it in Greece. This is not going to happen any time soon, and perhaps never. Countries that joined the eurozone gave up a considerable amount of economic power when they adopted the euro, but they retained the right to raise their own taxes and make their own spending decisions.
Britain is not in the euro, for which we should all be thankful. But let’s be clear: staying in the EU means hitching the wagon to a currency zone unable to go forwards or backwards, and which will continue to struggle as a result.
The euro brought to fruition the idea of ever-closer union, a plan that dates back to the early 1950s. Lots of things considered good ideas back then are no longer considered quite so clever: system-built high-rise flats as the answer to slum housing; nuclear power to meet energy needs. Put ever-closer union in the same category as the Birmingham inner-city ring road: it seemed a good idea at the time…….
- Modern Monetary Theory
- Eurozone underperfomance
- (pealkiri puudub)
- Poverty among the unemployed now close to 50 per cent in the EU
- Trumpi kaubandussõda
- A Comfortable Betrayal
- Dumping U.S. debt, a possible weapon in global trade war
- The dangers of pluralism in economics: the case of MMT
- MMT economists look at debt, deficit differently
- Itaalia farss
- MMT meedias
- IMF: The Euro Area Needs a Fiscal Union
- Here is a new argument for the Remainers – should be a winner
- Thomas Fazi and William Mitchell – The EU cannot be democratised – here’s why
- Make America Great Again
- Libertarian Warren Mosler – Keep Deficit and Eliminate Taxes (MMT for Conservatives Part 3)
- Vasakpoolsed UBI toetajad on neoliberaalidega seljad kokku löönud
- Kas Krugman on chartalist?
- Ralph Nader lahtistest piiridest
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 202,446 korda