It is widely appreciated that Europe’s monetary union is incomplete. Economists in particular are impatient at Europe’s slow progress Europe in advancing banking and fiscal union. But what is often under-appreciated is the extraordinary degree of complexity that forming a ‘complete’ monetary union entails. Often, the discussion loses sight of the fact that building a monetary union is not just about technical solutions but is rather about reconciling different interests. Jeff Frieden’s essay summarises some of the central themes that were fundamental in the creation of the United States’ monetary union. Irrespective of whether one ultimately is in favour of ‘complete’ European monetary union or not, it is useful and important to grasp what those fundamental themes were. The first theme is one of time. The US ‘monetary union’ was not finished with the work of Alexander Hamilton, the first Secretary of the US Treasury, who is widely credited with the creation of the US fiscal union. On the contrary, many years of deep conflict followed Hamilton’s period. The second theme relates to the nature of these conflicts. The conflicts were essentially about the right mix between bail-in and bail-out of federal states and banks, and about the appropriate monetary policy stance in a union of creditors and debtors. The third theme is the importance of federal institutions pursuing the common interest and demonstrating that the whole is more than the sum of its parts. For anyone following the European policy debate, this essay will provide many insights from the US. Ultimately, it will be up to Europe’s citizens to decide its destiny.This essay helps us understand that the conflicts our continent is encountering have happened in quite a similar way in the United States. Let me thank Professor Frieden for telling this fascinating story.
Guntram Wolff, Director, Bruegel Brussels, May 2016
- Püüdke natse, natsism on probleem nr. 1 Ameerikas
- The European Union, the New European Soviet?
- Trump ja Bannon
- California põllumajandus ja minu muru
- Brexit Boost: Hiring and Salaries Rise as Supply of Cheap Foreign Workers Falls
- Global Inflation Hits Lowest Level Since 2009
- Modern Money and the Constitution by Professor Christine Desan
- Kiidan heaks Trumpi immigratsioonipoliitika
- Hello Angry Losers
- Professor William Mitchell – Thinking in a Modern Monetary Theory Way
- Bill Mitchell: modern monetary theory
- The Basics of Modern Money
- Sa ei saa oma raha kätte pangast. See kõik on sinu enda huvides
- Trump and the Trumpists
- Lexit: the EU is a neoliberal project, so let’s do something different when we leave it
- Wholesale EU immigration has destroyed conditions for British workers
- GEOPOLITICS: The Billionaire Who Foresaw President Donald Trump’s America in 2017
- Alt-right on postkeinsismi lembeline?
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 198,785 korda