The arguments for and against Brexit have focused on the economic costs and benefits for the UK in leaving or remaining within the European Union. Though I am an economist, I am taking a more political perspective to this vote by focusing on the utterly undemocratic nature of the key institutions of the EU. The European Parliament is a weak, diversionary figurehead, while the real power resides within the unelected bureaucracy of the EU and the key political appointees of the Europe’s governments—and particularly its Finance Ministers. These effective cabals run roughshod over political democracies when they elect leaders that oppose core EU economic policies, while at the same time these policies are leading to the ruin of southern Europe, and the stagnation of France and Italy.
The European Union has been a failed enterprise ever since 1992, when the Maastricht Treaty was approved. As the prescient non-mainstream English economist Wynne Godley realised at the time, the fetish in this Treaty for government surpluses would lead to the collapse of Europe…..
- Here is a new argument for the Remainers – should be a winner
- Thomas Fazi and William Mitchell – The EU cannot be democratised – here’s why
- Make America Great Again
- Libertarian Warren Mosler – Keep Deficit and Eliminate Taxes (MMT for Conservatives Part 3)
- Vasakpoolsed UBI toetajad on neoliberaalidega seljad kokku löönud
- Kas Krugman on chartalist?
- Ralph Nader lahtistest piiridest
- Bitcoin’s big problem: The modern state can make anything it chooses generally acceptable as money
- Donald Trump: You Print the Money
- Internetist leitud kommentaar MMT kohta
- Ennustatav palgakasv OECD riikides 2018
- H-1B viisaprogramm
- European banks warn of multibillion-dollar hit from Trump tax reform
- The EU – Plan A and Plan B with MMT – Warren Mosler
- Üks huvitav graafik inflatsiooni kohta
- Itaalia maksusertifikaadid ja võlafoobid
- How the Eurobarometer Blurs the Line between Research and Propaganda
- Does Saving Europe Require Saving the Currency? Pavlina Tcherneva
- Stabilisatsiooni ettepanekud
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 201,965 korda