The arguments for and against Brexit have focused on the economic costs and benefits for the UK in leaving or remaining within the European Union. Though I am an economist, I am taking a more political perspective to this vote by focusing on the utterly undemocratic nature of the key institutions of the EU. The European Parliament is a weak, diversionary figurehead, while the real power resides within the unelected bureaucracy of the EU and the key political appointees of the Europe’s governments—and particularly its Finance Ministers. These effective cabals run roughshod over political democracies when they elect leaders that oppose core EU economic policies, while at the same time these policies are leading to the ruin of southern Europe, and the stagnation of France and Italy.
The European Union has been a failed enterprise ever since 1992, when the Maastricht Treaty was approved. As the prescient non-mainstream English economist Wynne Godley realised at the time, the fetish in this Treaty for government surpluses would lead to the collapse of Europe…..
- Püüdke natse, natsism on probleem nr. 1 Ameerikas
- The European Union, the New European Soviet?
- Trump ja Bannon
- California põllumajandus ja minu muru
- Brexit Boost: Hiring and Salaries Rise as Supply of Cheap Foreign Workers Falls
- Global Inflation Hits Lowest Level Since 2009
- Modern Money and the Constitution by Professor Christine Desan
- Kiidan heaks Trumpi immigratsioonipoliitika
- Hello Angry Losers
- Professor William Mitchell – Thinking in a Modern Monetary Theory Way
- Bill Mitchell: modern monetary theory
- The Basics of Modern Money
- Sa ei saa oma raha kätte pangast. See kõik on sinu enda huvides
- Trump and the Trumpists
- Lexit: the EU is a neoliberal project, so let’s do something different when we leave it
- Wholesale EU immigration has destroyed conditions for British workers
- GEOPOLITICS: The Billionaire Who Foresaw President Donald Trump’s America in 2017
- Alt-right on postkeinsismi lembeline?
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 198,785 korda