Former Federal Reserve Chair Alan Greenspan told CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street” on Friday that the U.K. voting to leave the European Union “is just the tip of the iceberg.”
Britons voted by 51.9 percent to quit the 28-country union, shocking markets that had priced in a win for “remain.”
“This is the worst period, I recall, since I’ve been in public service. There’s nothing like it, including the crisis… This has a corrosive effect, which is not easy [to make] go away,” Greenspan said.
The former Fed chair said that the root of the “British problem is far more widespread.” The former Fed chair explained that the result of the referendum will “almost surely” lead to the Scottish National Party trying to “resurrect Scottish Independence.”
Greenspan said that fundamental problems like the stagnation of real incomes don’t have easy solutions.
“There’s a certain amount that monetary policy can do, but our problem is fundamentally fiscal,” he said, adding that this is true in the United States as well as “every major country in Europe.
Greenspan went even further and said that the “euro currency is the immediate problem.” While the euro and the eurozone were major steps in a movement towards European political integration, “it’s failing,” he said.
- Varoufakis on tüüpiline vasakpoolne totu
- Real Progressives LIVE with L Randall Wray – MMT and Debunking AMI: Positive Money
- Ted Malloch: The US view of European integration
- EU In Disintegration Mode
- Costas Lapavitsas speech at the Euro PlanB conference “Alternatives to the Europe of austerity”
- Why governments should run deficits
- These people are not capable of launching a revolution, nor would they want to see the consequences.
- Marine Le Pen (future is female :) )
- Kas pole irooniline?
- MMT ja Jaapani võlakirjaturg
- Rabble rouser who could be the next nail in EU’s coffin: Geert Wilders is the virulently anti-Islam Dutch politician
- Itaalia…. vaikus enne tormi
- Varoufakis: kuberneriks hakkan ma
- EU will have a wonderful future…..
- Valdkonnast “rumal kriitika”
- Tingimusteta põhisissetulekust
- State of the Union Message to Congress January 11, 1944
- Vastik natsiriik
- If this doesn’t make you deeply question the state of economics then I don’t know what will….
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 195,857 korda