Former Federal Reserve Chair Alan Greenspan told CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street” on Friday that the U.K. voting to leave the European Union “is just the tip of the iceberg.”
Britons voted by 51.9 percent to quit the 28-country union, shocking markets that had priced in a win for “remain.”
“This is the worst period, I recall, since I’ve been in public service. There’s nothing like it, including the crisis… This has a corrosive effect, which is not easy [to make] go away,” Greenspan said.
The former Fed chair said that the root of the “British problem is far more widespread.” The former Fed chair explained that the result of the referendum will “almost surely” lead to the Scottish National Party trying to “resurrect Scottish Independence.”
Greenspan said that fundamental problems like the stagnation of real incomes don’t have easy solutions.
“There’s a certain amount that monetary policy can do, but our problem is fundamentally fiscal,” he said, adding that this is true in the United States as well as “every major country in Europe.
Greenspan went even further and said that the “euro currency is the immediate problem.” While the euro and the eurozone were major steps in a movement towards European political integration, “it’s failing,” he said.
- Keynes and Brexit
- L’italiano vero
- ITALY REFERENDUM ‘WILL COLLAPSE EURO’, FRENCH ELECTION HINTS AT EUROPEAN SHIFT TOWARD RUSSIA
- Trump’s biggest supporter is still mad as hell
- Scepticism about a Brexit apocalypse looks increasingly justified
- Kui kedagi huvitab, et miks Trump või Marine Le Pen
- Le Pen
- Timing is everything
- The Real War on Science
- Global Empire: The Trump Effect
- Economists need to get into the real world, says Bank of England chief economist
- Nobel laureate Stiglitz sees Italy, others leaving euro zone in coming years
- Meet the Renegades: Michael Hudson
- Peavoolu majandusteadus võib end põlema panna
- Peamine ja põhiline vasakpoolsete probleem ühes artiklis
- TINA to the elite
- Ha-Joon Chang – Bad Samaritans: The Myth of Free Trade and the Secret History of Capitalism
- Bill Gross endorses a Job Guarantee, government as employer of last resort
- The Republican Deficit Hawks Abandon Their Religion
- Turud ootavad Trumpi stiimulit
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 193,523 korda