Former Federal Reserve Chair Alan Greenspan told CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street” on Friday that the U.K. voting to leave the European Union “is just the tip of the iceberg.”
Britons voted by 51.9 percent to quit the 28-country union, shocking markets that had priced in a win for “remain.”
“This is the worst period, I recall, since I’ve been in public service. There’s nothing like it, including the crisis… This has a corrosive effect, which is not easy [to make] go away,” Greenspan said.
The former Fed chair said that the root of the “British problem is far more widespread.” The former Fed chair explained that the result of the referendum will “almost surely” lead to the Scottish National Party trying to “resurrect Scottish Independence.”
Greenspan said that fundamental problems like the stagnation of real incomes don’t have easy solutions.
“There’s a certain amount that monetary policy can do, but our problem is fundamentally fiscal,” he said, adding that this is true in the United States as well as “every major country in Europe.
Greenspan went even further and said that the “euro currency is the immediate problem.” While the euro and the eurozone were major steps in a movement towards European political integration, “it’s failing,” he said.
- Modern Money and the Obsession Over Fiscal Consolidation
- Roy Jenkins and Tony Benn debate : The European Communities membership referendum, 1975 – Panorama
- Drain Le Swamp
- Put your pussy hats on
- Brexit: the end of an error
- Joan Muysken Lecture: “The Eurozone, Groupthink and denial on a grand scale”
- On ikka kuradi fašistid
- How many poor?
- Ajastule sobivat muusikat
- Public Debt In The Eurozone: A Political Problem
- Šoti vasakpoolsed natsionalistid tahavad Šotimaast kreekasarnast EL-i kolooniat teha
- Trump Saltmining Inc.
- Poland warns of disunity across the EU after Donald Tusk re-elected European Council president
- Trump on keeldunud Reagani majanduspoliitikast
- Head rahvusvahelist naistepäeva
- Kohutav, Taani kannatab täistööhõive ja tõusvate palkade käes
- Euro saatus otsustatakse tõenäoliselt Itaalias
- Vasakpoolsed julgevad ainult Merkeli selja taga rääkida
- The European Union Trembles
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 197,190 korda