Former Federal Reserve Chair Alan Greenspan told CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street” on Friday that the U.K. voting to leave the European Union “is just the tip of the iceberg.”
Britons voted by 51.9 percent to quit the 28-country union, shocking markets that had priced in a win for “remain.”
“This is the worst period, I recall, since I’ve been in public service. There’s nothing like it, including the crisis… This has a corrosive effect, which is not easy [to make] go away,” Greenspan said.
The former Fed chair said that the root of the “British problem is far more widespread.” The former Fed chair explained that the result of the referendum will “almost surely” lead to the Scottish National Party trying to “resurrect Scottish Independence.”
Greenspan said that fundamental problems like the stagnation of real incomes don’t have easy solutions.
“There’s a certain amount that monetary policy can do, but our problem is fundamentally fiscal,” he said, adding that this is true in the United States as well as “every major country in Europe.
Greenspan went even further and said that the “euro currency is the immediate problem.” While the euro and the eurozone were major steps in a movement towards European political integration, “it’s failing,” he said.
- Püüdke natse, natsism on probleem nr. 1 Ameerikas
- The European Union, the New European Soviet?
- Trump ja Bannon
- California põllumajandus ja minu muru
- Brexit Boost: Hiring and Salaries Rise as Supply of Cheap Foreign Workers Falls
- Global Inflation Hits Lowest Level Since 2009
- Modern Money and the Constitution by Professor Christine Desan
- Kiidan heaks Trumpi immigratsioonipoliitika
- Hello Angry Losers
- Professor William Mitchell – Thinking in a Modern Monetary Theory Way
- Bill Mitchell: modern monetary theory
- The Basics of Modern Money
- Sa ei saa oma raha kätte pangast. See kõik on sinu enda huvides
- Trump and the Trumpists
- Lexit: the EU is a neoliberal project, so let’s do something different when we leave it
- Wholesale EU immigration has destroyed conditions for British workers
- GEOPOLITICS: The Billionaire Who Foresaw President Donald Trump’s America in 2017
- Alt-right on postkeinsismi lembeline?
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 198,785 korda