Former Federal Reserve Chair Alan Greenspan told CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street” on Friday that the U.K. voting to leave the European Union “is just the tip of the iceberg.”
Britons voted by 51.9 percent to quit the 28-country union, shocking markets that had priced in a win for “remain.”
“This is the worst period, I recall, since I’ve been in public service. There’s nothing like it, including the crisis… This has a corrosive effect, which is not easy [to make] go away,” Greenspan said.
The former Fed chair said that the root of the “British problem is far more widespread.” The former Fed chair explained that the result of the referendum will “almost surely” lead to the Scottish National Party trying to “resurrect Scottish Independence.”
Greenspan said that fundamental problems like the stagnation of real incomes don’t have easy solutions.
“There’s a certain amount that monetary policy can do, but our problem is fundamentally fiscal,” he said, adding that this is true in the United States as well as “every major country in Europe.
Greenspan went even further and said that the “euro currency is the immediate problem.” While the euro and the eurozone were major steps in a movement towards European political integration, “it’s failing,” he said.
- Ütle mulle, kes on sinu sõbrad ja…
- Ohtlikud fanaatikud
- Owen Jones meets Ha-Joon Chang | The economic argument against neoliberalism
- Mis siis saab, kui hiinlased hakkavad massiliselt USA võlga müüma?
- Trump Will Not Back Down From Trade War, Says Kingston’s Keen
- Steve Keen Varoufakise raamatust
- Ashoka Mody – German social democrats have alienated their base and fractured Europe
- (pealkiri puudub)
- Termin “Modern Monetary Theory” ilmub esmakordselt Maailmapanga veebileheküljel
- Sacrificing at the Altar of the Euro
- Saksamaa SKP per capita versus Itaalia SKP per capita
- Kaasaegne tööjaotus
- Keskpankade rahatrükk ja inflatsioon
- Most People are Monetary Ptolemaicans – Warren Mosler & Professor Steve Keen – 6 May 2018
- Saksamaa ei taha midagi teada Macroni euro reformimisest
- Arenevad majandused MMT vaatevinklist
- Stephanie Kelton Has The Biggest Idea In Washington
- Itaaliast häid uudiseid, bot bot bot minibot
- Itaalias paistab hullus maad võtvat, mama mia!
- Tööprogrammist ja MMT-st
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 204,831 korda