THE LEAST ‘ENSLAVED’ NATION IN THE EU JUST THREW OFF ITS ‘SHACKLES’
If the EU worked well for any nation in Europe, it was the UK. Thanks to the scepticism and paranoia of Gordon Brown, Britain dodged the catastrophic error of the single currency. As a result, it has been relatively free to pursue the fiscal policies that it deems socially and politically desirable. The fact that it has consistently chosen neoliberal ones is not really the fault of the EU, the stability and growth pact notwithstanding. But in contrast to southern European members of the EU, Britain is scarcely constrained at all. Instead, it has benefited from economic stability, a clear international regulatory framework and a sense of cultural fraternity with other member states. One could even argue that, being in the EU but outside of the Eurozone, Britain has had the best deal of any member state during the 21st century.
This has been abandoned. Meanwhile, nations that might genuinely describe themselves as ‘shackled’, have suffered such serious threats to their democracy as to have unelected Prime Ministers imposed upon them by the Troika, and have had their future forcibly removed thanks to the European Union, might look at Brexit and wonder.
- Ütle mulle, kes on sinu sõbrad ja…
- Ohtlikud fanaatikud
- Owen Jones meets Ha-Joon Chang | The economic argument against neoliberalism
- Mis siis saab, kui hiinlased hakkavad massiliselt USA võlga müüma?
- Trump Will Not Back Down From Trade War, Says Kingston’s Keen
- Steve Keen Varoufakise raamatust
- Ashoka Mody – German social democrats have alienated their base and fractured Europe
- (pealkiri puudub)
- Termin “Modern Monetary Theory” ilmub esmakordselt Maailmapanga veebileheküljel
- Sacrificing at the Altar of the Euro
- Saksamaa SKP per capita versus Itaalia SKP per capita
- Kaasaegne tööjaotus
- Keskpankade rahatrükk ja inflatsioon
- Most People are Monetary Ptolemaicans – Warren Mosler & Professor Steve Keen – 6 May 2018
- Saksamaa ei taha midagi teada Macroni euro reformimisest
- Arenevad majandused MMT vaatevinklist
- Stephanie Kelton Has The Biggest Idea In Washington
- Itaaliast häid uudiseid, bot bot bot minibot
- Itaalias paistab hullus maad võtvat, mama mia!
- Tööprogrammist ja MMT-st
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 204,831 korda