Republican Mayor Richard Berry was driving around Albuquerque last year when he saw a man on a street corner holding a sign that read: “Want a Job. Anything Helps.”
Throughout his administration, as part of a push to connect the homeless population to services, Berry had taken to driving through the city to talk to panhandlers about their lives. His city’s poorest residents told him they didn’t want to be on the streets begging for money, but they didn’t know where else to go.
Seeing that sign gave Berry an idea. Instead of asking them, many of whom feel dispirited, to go out looking for work, the city could bring the work to them.
Next month will be the first anniversary of Albuquerque’s There’s a Better Way program, which hires panhandlers for day jobs beautifying the city. In partnership with a local nonprofit that serves the homeless population, a van is dispatched around the city to pick up panhandlers who are interested in working. The job pays $9 an hour, which is above minimum wage, and provides a lunch. At the end of the shift, the participants are offered overnight shelter as needed……
- The European Union, the New European Soviet?
- Trump ja Bannon
- California põllumajandus ja minu muru
- Brexit Boost: Hiring and Salaries Rise as Supply of Cheap Foreign Workers Falls
- Global Inflation Hits Lowest Level Since 2009
- Modern Money and the Constitution by Professor Christine Desan
- Kiidan heaks Trumpi immigratsioonipoliitika
- Hello Angry Losers
- Professor William Mitchell – Thinking in a Modern Monetary Theory Way
- Bill Mitchell: modern monetary theory
- The Basics of Modern Money
- Sa ei saa oma raha kätte pangast. See kõik on sinu enda huvides
- Trump and the Trumpists
- Lexit: the EU is a neoliberal project, so let’s do something different when we leave it
- Wholesale EU immigration has destroyed conditions for British workers
- GEOPOLITICS: The Billionaire Who Foresaw President Donald Trump’s America in 2017
- Alt-right on postkeinsismi lembeline?
- Thank you Kemi Badenoch
Seda blogi vaadatud (60 sek hilinemine)
- 198,750 korda